The African Innovation Foundation (AIF) recently announced the seventh edition of the Innovation Prize for Africa (IPA) themed “investing in inclusive innovation ecosystems” thereby inviting submissions to reward the best home-grown innovations on the continent. The annual Award seeks to celebrate outstanding breakthroughs that deliver practical, and commercially viable African solutions that are innovative and sustainable.
IPA’s goal is to strengthen African innovation ecosystems by supporting a culture of innovation and competitiveness, whilst spurring growth of innovative, market-driven African solutions to African challenges. Specifically, IPA honours and encourages pioneering achievements that contribute towards developing new products, increasing efficiency and/or saving cost in Africa. Applications will be accepted from all Africans including those living in the diaspora.
The submissions will be judged on the backdrop of IPA’s themes supporting social and economic innovation in the following five (5) categories:
- manufacturing and service industry;
- health and well-being;
- agriculture and agribusiness;
- energy and water; and
- ICT showcasing ground-breaking innovations.
- Grand prize – US $100,000,
- Second Prize – US $25,000,
- Special Prize for Social Impact – US $25 000,
- A voucher for each of the seven IPA nominees – US $5 000,
- Additional incentives include investment opportunities, training and access to a vibrant network of innovation enablers, ongoing PR support and media coverage, and invitation to join ZuaHub.
DEADLINE: January 10, 2018