The 2019 Scholarship offer is aimed to provide an important opportunity for enhancing the knowledge, professional skills and capacity of refugees and displaced persons; and thereby contribute for sustainable development in Africa.
The Mwalimu Nyerere African Union Scholarship Scheme was launched in 2007 with the aim to contribute in the production and retention of high level African human resources for sustainable development of the continent in critical development areas, while promoting regional integration through intra-Africa mobility of students. The Scholarship Scheme is intended to enable young Africans to study in reputable African Universities with a binding agreement that beneficiaries will work in any African country for at least the same duration of scholarship period after graduation.
To be eligible for the scholarship, a candidate must:
- Be a Citizen of an African Union Member State.
- Be a formally registered refugee/displaced person with a UNHCR registration number or be able to demonstrate confirmed refugee status in an African Union Member State.
- Be under the age of thirty five (35) years.
- Be a holder of a Bachelor’s Degree in the relevant field, at least at the level of Upper Second Class Honours. The degree must be from a recognised University.
- Have demonstrated outstanding academic achievement as evidenced by academic transcripts, and academic awards if any.
- Have proof of admission to undertake a full time Masters programme in a recognised university in an African Union Member State.
- Be willing to commit to work in an African Union Member State on completion of studies for at least three (3) years.
The scholarship award covers the following:
Tuition Fees: According to an official invoice from the Host University.
Stipend: 500 US$ monthly, to support living expenses such as housing, food, utilities, local transportation and medication.
Book Allowance: An allowance of 500 US$ per year for the purchase of books.
Air ticket: A round-trip economy fare (as applicable).
- One-off payment of 250 US$ to contribute towards ground transportation and settling-in costs
- One-off payment of 350 US$ to assist with shipping and other terminal expenses; upon departure from the host Institution after successful completion of the study.Computer Allowance: One-off payment of 1,000 US$ for the purchase of laptop computer and accessories.
DEADLINE: April 30, 2019