The \”Dr. Abdulrahman Al-Sumait Prize\” will be awarded annually to individuals or institutions within one of the proposed three fields (Food Security, Health and Education), and has a value of $1,000,000 (One million US dollars).
The prize is to be awarded to individuals or institutions who through their research projects or initiatives have made signiﬁcant advancement within one or more of the following areas of Food Security on the African Continent:
- Developing new varieties of seeds, crops or livestock which can improve the food security of the poor population in Africa by increasing the caloriﬁc and nutritional value of food produced and consumed domestically.
- Improving farmers’ access to agricultural inputs, techniques, technologies and markets so as to increase the availability of staple products which form a core part of the diet of the poorest people in Africa.
- Improving farmers’ resilience to climate change and extreme weather conditions.
- Improving marketing and adopting modern business strategies.
- Addressing issues relevant to gender equity in the field of the Prize.
The subject for the 2019 prize is Food Security
The objective of the prize is the appreciation, recognition of the best studies, scientiﬁc projects, applied research, and innovative initiatives that have made signiﬁcant impact in advancing progress to economic and social development in Africa. The awarded projects should help African nations to overcome poverty, hunger, lack of potable water, injustice or to improve health care, literacy and the allocation of economic resources.
DEADLINE: April 30, 2019