The University of Pretoria (UP) in partnership with the Mastercard Foundation (MCF) is delighted to announce MasterCard Foundation Scholarship commencing in January 2019. This scholarship is available for high achieving African students interested in studying at the undergraduate or postgraduate levels.
The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program is a 10-year, $500 million global initiative to educate and develop next-generation leaders who will contribute to social and economic transformation. The program enables young people from economically disadvantaged communities to complete quality secondary and university education, and make successful transitions to further education or careers in their home countries.
If your application is successful, the program will cover the following:
- Full tuition fees
- Accommodation and meals in a UP residence or UP-accredited accommodation
- A modest monthly stipend
- Textbooks and printed material
- Medical aid cover for the duration of the study
- VISA costs
- Reasonable travel costs (including flight ticket) to and from your home
- Leadership development opportunities
- Academic advising and counselling support
African students from the following countries are eligible to apply for this scholarship:
Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Ivory Coast, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Western Sahara, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Candidates should be citizens of the Sub-Saharan African country.
- Applicants should come from economically disadvantaged backgrounds and demonstrate financial neediness.
- Candidates should demonstrate leadership potential and ought to be involved in a giving back project e.g. in a community, at school, church etc…
- Academic excellence is paramount and students have to maintain a high academic average at all times.
- Candidates need to be first time applicants as first-year students in the degree program.
DEADLINE: September 15, 2018