The Africa Innovation Summit (AIS) today announced the innovators selected from across the continent to exhibit their solutions at the forum, which will take place from 6 to 8 June 2018 in Kigali, Rwanda under the esteemed patronage of His Excellences President Paul Kagame and Pedro Pires (ex-President of Cabo Verde and 2011 Mo Ibrahim Laureate). The AIS serves as a platform for multi-stakeholder dialogue and a catalyst for coalition and action towards building robust innovation ecosystems in Africa. AIS 2018 will focus on innovation as a tool to address Africa’s pressing challenges.
An important aspect of AIS 2018 will focus on profiling and supporting solutions that are already examples of how Africa is addressing her challenges with new and innovative thinking. As such, AIS 2018 Innovation Track and Exhibition is an integral part of the Summit. The exhibition will showcase home-grown innovations on the continent.
Applications were accepted in one of three categories; either idea stage, ready to commercialize (minimal viable product) or ready to scale. The focus is on innovators who are tackling the challenges in Water and Sanitation, Food Security and Agriculture, Healthcare, Governance and Energy. Over 600 innovation submissions were received from 44 African countries: including Morocco, Tunisia, Mali, Gambia, Egypt, Somalia, Sudan, Chad, Congo, Comoros, Mozambique, Lesotho and Namibia, to name a few, with the majority being submitted from Kenya, Nigeria, South Africa, Uganda, Ghana and Tanzania.
- Pidson Abaho, PedalTap, Uganda
- James Dick, Food Security for Everyone, South Africa
- Victor Shikoli, HYDROIQ, Kenya
- Immanuel Hango, Chlorine Production Using Solar Energy, Namibia
- Venuste Kubwimana, School Water Kiosks, Rwanda
- Emmanuel Noah, BenBen, Ghana
- Carlos dos Santos, IGRPWeb 1.0, Cape Verde
- Jackline Kemigisa, Parliament Watch Uganda, Uganda
- Chifungu Samazaka, Recyclebot, Zambia
- Clement Mokoenene, Vehicle Energy Harvesting System (VEHS), South Africa
- Bryan Mwangi, Pyro-Degrade Waste Management Solutions, Kenya
- Simbarashe Mhuriro, Oxygen Energy Commercial Rooftop Solar Solutions, Zimbabwe
- Tony Nyagah, Strauss Energy, Kenya
- Ahmed Abbas, SunCity, Egypt
- Zachary Mbuthia, Prosol Limited, Kenya
- Zuko Mandlakazi Senso, South Africa
- James Makumbi, The EpiTent, Uganda
- Joan Nalubega, Union-Ganics (Uganics), Uganda
- Dougbeh-Chris Nyan, The Nyan-Test, Liberia
- Atef Ali, Sign Heroes, Egypt