The 2018 Mwalimu Nyerere African Union Scholarship Scheme aims to encourage the participation of young African female students at the postgraduate level for Masters and PhD programs in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).
The scholarship award covers the following:
- Tuition Fees: According to an official invoice from the Host University.
- Stipend: 500 US$ monthly, to support living expenses such as housing, food, utilities, local transportation and medication.
- Book Allowance: An allowance of 500 US$ per year for the purchase of books.
- Air ticket: A round-trip economy fare for the most direct route between the beneficiary’s home country and the study destination of host Institute.
- One-off payment of 250 US$ to contribute towards ground transportation from airport and settling-in costs
- One-off payment of 350 US$ to assist with shipping and other terminal expenses; upon departure from the host Institution after successful completion of the study.
- One-off payment of 1,000 US$ for the purchase of laptop computer and accessories.
Note: Candidates must complete all academic work within the specified period of the programme as the scholarship cannot be extended.
To be eligible for the Scholarship, a candidate must:
- Be a Female Citizen of an African Union Member State.
- Be under the age of thirty-five (35) years for Masters Programmes; and under forty (40) years for PhD Programs.
- Be a holder of a Bachelor’s Degree in the relevant field, at the level of Upper Second Class Honours for a Masters’ Programme; and a holder of Masters’ Degree in the relevant field for a PhD Programme. The degree must be from a reputable University.
- Have demonstrated outstanding academic achievement as evidenced by academic transcripts, and academic awards if any.
- Have proof of admission to undertake a full-time Masters or PhD programme in a recognized university of an African Union Member State.
- Be willing to commit to work in an African Union Member State on completion of studies for at least three (3) years.