The WAAW Foundation is a 501(c) non-profit organization whose mission is to empower girls throughout Africa by increasing the pipeline of girls in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) fields. Unoma Okorafor has made it her life’s mission to increase the participation of African girls in STEM fields.
The third annual GEM-TECH Awards received 311 nominations from 81 countries from a wide range of organizations and entities coming from government, industry and academia, as well as civil society organizations. Nominations submitted covered a number of topics including women’s safety apps, e-government solutions, e-agri projects to support women’s economic empowerment and innovative digital skills training for women and girls.
In the category of Applying technology for women’s empowerment:
The Finalists are:
- Girls in Tech, Indonesia;
- Televisa Foundation, USA;
- VHTO, the Dutch National Expert Organization on Girls/Women and Science/Technology, The Netherlands;
- Laboratoria, Peru, Mexico and Chile;
- Working to Advance STEM Education for African Women (WAAW) Foundation, Nigeria and USA.
Congratulations again to the team.