Applications for the WAAW Foundation STEM camp for secondary school girls are now open.
The theme for the 2015 camp is \’Computing, Robotics & Renewable Energy For Africa.\’ This one-week residential camp promises to be exciting and fun for 40 African girls in Lagos, Nigeria and Nairobi, Kenya. The camp is aimed at African girls between the ages of 13 and 17 years who are currently enrolled in Senior Secondary School SS1 – SS3. Girls from all African countries are encouraged to apply.
- N30,000 ($200) for private school students and other individuals,
Full Scholarships and reduced cost available for public school students only.
*WAAW will not provide transportation to and from the camp location. feeding, lodging, science & robotics kits, books, t-shirts, backpacks, hands-on learning and megafun will be provided.
When: August 2-8, 2015
Where: Greensprings secondary school, Anthony Campus, 32, Olatunde Ayoola Avenue, Anthony-Lagos, Nigeria
When: August 19-24, 2015
Where: Brookhouse International School, Magadi road, off Langata, Nairobi, Kenya
What Students Will Learn:
- Students will learn to build exciting robots on the NXT platform,
- Students will build renewable energy systems such as solar and Wind Mill systems,
- Students will learn basic computer science concepts and be introduced to programming using Arduino and raspberry pi platform, playing with blockly program,
- Students will be introduced to app building for Andriod platform using MITs app builder,
- Students will participate in team building exercises,
- All activities are very focused on hands on, integrative learning that promotes creativity, innovation and problem solving using locally available resources.
DEADLINE: June 30, 2015